Bennett has a beloved stuffed elephant named Katrina. He sleeps with her every night and she always accompanies us on trips, etc. Lately, it seems Katrina has become more "real" for him. He has tried several times to give her a drink of water from the sippy cup he takes to bed. When she can't drink it on her own, he opens it up and pours the water down her mouth, only to be totally surprised that the bed and Katrina are all wet. The last week or so, she has been sleeping inside of a Pull-up, just in case she wets the bed, I guess.
Today I walked into his room and it smelled terribly like pee. There weren't any wet pull-ups in his garbage can, so I asked him if he had forgotten to throw it away this morning. He looks at me with big eyes and says, "Don't! Don't!" Then he looks over at Katrina -- who is sitting in a soaking wet pull-up on the bed. Myriads of tears are generated because I insist that Katrina cannot stay in the wet pull-up and that she will need a bath in the washing machine. For some reason, this provokes uncontrolled sobbing that no amount of hugs can stop -- that is, until I offer him a popsicle. Problem solved!
No comments:
Post a Comment