Last Thursday I tweaked something in my back while picking up the hefty Miss Sarah Jane (who weighs all of 20 lbs!). I took it easy all day so as not to do any more damage. But that night I started having regular contractions -- every 5-10 minutes -- that would not stop. Not what we are looking for at 32 weeks! So we called the doctor about 11 pm who told us to go to the hospital and get it checked out. They monitored me for a while and then gave me a shot to stop the contractions. Luckily, there were no cervical changes (no dilation). They did some sort of protein test that came back negative, indicating a high likelihood that birth was not imminent. Yea! So they sent me home.
Friday my back hurt worse, but no contractions. Saturday my back was starting to feel a little better but I got regular contractions again that night. Mark gave me a priesthood blessing, I chugged about a gallon of water, and tried to sleep. Luckily they eventually stopped on their own. Since then I have thankfully not had any sustained regular contractions -- and I'm hoping it stays that way. I've been to the physical therapist and gotten stretches for my back. And I go see the OB in the morning to see how worried we should actually be. I'm hoping that it is all no big deal and I just have to worry about getting my back healthy before going into labor IN SEPTEMBER, not August.
Thankfully Mark's mom came for the weekend and my mom has come to spend a few days with us this week. So I'm able to take it easy a little bit and not lift the kids, etc. (Plus the kids think it is fabulous to have extra time with grandparents!) We're hoping we are done with the excitement for a while. We are anxious to have our little guy join the family -- but just not yet!
3 comments:
Yikes, Genet, I'm glad things have calmed down once again for you! Hopefully they will stay that way for several more weeks! (Although we can't wait to hear the news when the little guy does come!)
Oh my! Sounds scary! Glad everything is okay!
Hi Genet-
Thanks for your prayers for my health. Also praying for a good end to your pregnancy with delivery at TERM! I agree that medicine does prevent a lot of sorrow in developed countries in the field of obstetrics. And it makes me often reflect on how blessed we were by medicine when Meredith arrived earlier and than became so sick. Blessings to your family. Hope your back is also feeling better.
love-sara
Post a Comment