Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween Boo

Here is what I learned in our attempt to carry out our first annual "Halloween Boo" tradition: (If you don't know what it is, you can look it up online)
(1) Choose something simple to make. After gathering half the supplies we needed for a cute witch cupcakes, I couldn't find the most essential ingredients (chocolate ice cream cones & black rope licorice that you can separate to look like hair), so I had to decide on something else not nearly as cute. In the end I wish I had made chocolate chip cookies (see #2).
(2) Do not make cupcakes, especially with store-bought frosting, unless they are going into tupperware. The frosting does not set up and it ends up getting all over everything, and your cute spider webs look terrible! It was very depressing.
(3) The roll of cellophane is only enough for 3 plates. Saran wrap does not work well. It smashes the cupcakes, ruining the soft frosting decorations, and looks rumpled and ugly. Cellophane looks nice but it still smashes the frosting.
(4) Do not make your treats on Sunday evening so that you are unable to run to the store to correct the problem.
(5) In the end none of this matters, because of the darling, laughing, happy kids who have a wonderful time running in the dark to and from the car as they happily drop off the ugly cupcakes to unsuspecting neighbors. Even if no one will eat our ugly cupcakes, it was well worth the effort.



No comments: