Monday, October 4, 2010

Bye-Bye Binky Party!

Today is the day. We said good-bye to the binky.

Bennett has been working on staying dry at night. I told him that if he stayed dry for 6 nights, he could have a Pillow Pet ( -- a ridiculous stuffed animal/pillow that they "advertise" on PBS without actually having a commercial because they are a "sponsor" or "supporter" or something. But all the kids I know are in love with them.) Of course, I didn't specify at the beginning that they needed to be IN A ROW -- a point that was not missed by Bennett. So even though they were not in a row, he was dry for 6 nights. He was very anxious to get his Pillow Pet.

Now of course, Sarah wanted one too. When I made the deal with Bennett, I told Sarah that she could have one too, IF she gave up her binky. So today, with all the forethought of a 2-year-old, she decided that she would give it up so she could have one too. Anything to have that soft stuffed animal right now.

Side story: Getting the Pillow Pet was an adventure in and of itself. We went to Fred Meyer, but they only had a three kinds to choose from. Bennett mentioned seeing a kiosk at the mall when he was there with Mark at the Apple store. Being the generous mom that I am, I thought we would go to the mall so they would have a better selection. This was a momentous occasion, right? So the three of us got back in the car and trekked over to the mall. It look us a long time to find the kiosk, but there were lots of different animals to choose from when we finally found it. When each of them had gotten their hearts set on one, the cashier said "that will be $80." "What?!? $80?!? Are you kidding? I'm only buying two!" Yes, $80. They were only $20 each at Fred Meyer, still WAY TOO MUCH for what is essentially a bribe, but I had made my deal without checking the cost so I'd live with it. But $40 each. Who are we kidding? It's a stuffed pillow! The cashier assured me that these "special" pillow pets had a "different" label than the ones at Fred Meyer and were manufactured differently ("better, I presume?") I was not buying her story. So needles to say, I temporarily broke my daughter's heart by not buying the dolphin and heading right back to the car to return to Fred Meyer. On the way, I called both Targets near us to see if they carried any different kinds, but they were the same as Freddies. So an hour after we had left the store, we returned to purchase the exact same Pillow Pets we had looked at originally. And they were both thrilled! Serves me right, I guess. Should've taken the easy route to begin with.

So they both happily snuggled with their Pillow Pets for the rest of the afternoon. Only once did Sarah ask if she could "see" her binky. I pacified her with mints (which she loves!) At FHE tonight before Jackson's lesson on Agency, we had a "Bye Bye Binky" Party, complete with ice cream sundaes. We put all the binkies we could find (I'm sure she will find the missing ones tomorrow) in a box and put them outside for the "Binky Fairy" to take away. See below.


All fine and dandy until it was time for bed. Then the crying ensued. Poor girl! You fall asleep one way every night of your entire life and now a Pillow Pet is supposed to make you forget? Yea, right. But Mark was patient and persistent, and gently rubbed her back and sang to her until she fell asleep. Luckily she was exhausted. We'll see how much sleep we get tonight. But at least the process has begun. I've been dreading it for months, and now at least it will be over soon (or so we can hope!)

2 comments:

Williams Family said...

Good luck with the no binky. As you well know, that was a hard one for us. And I remember the kids loving Pillow Pets and was thinking of getting Bennett or Sarah one for Christmas. You have to admit, they are kinda cute.

Genet said...

Yes, they are cute and very soft and snuggly. It is great fabric. I was just super annoyed at them yesterday. Sarah slept all night last night and has only had a few "substitute" mints today.